Introduction

¡Hola!

I am Valentina and I am an International Relations student. What is International Relations? – You might ask. My degree is a part of the department Politics and encompasses a combination of subjects such as History, Economics and Sociology.

I am originally from Buenos Aires in Argentina. However, at five years old, my family and I moved to Madrid, Spain. Though I was in Madrid, I went to a British school because my parents valued having an international mindset and they wanted me to have a multicultural perspective on life.

Almost all my education has been in the British system, and this has given me invaluable skills such as critical thinking and research skills. Due to the benefits of the British education system, I decided to go to university in the UK. I believe it has been one of the best decisions of my life, as we all know how theoretical the Spanish system can get. And if I am honest, studying through memorization is not my strength.

At first it was a huge cultural shock because I was very used to the Southern European culture. Nevertheless, I soon started immersing myself into the UK culture and now I can’t believe I lived 17 years of my life without knowing what garlic bread was!

My university experience has been a roller-coaster of emotions. I have gotten to know myself; I grew a huge passion for my course, I learnt how to adapt to university online during the Pandemic and I even got to go on an exchange to Italy.

Stay posted if you want to hear more about my experience in the UK, my degree, and my year-long exchange to the University of Bologna. I will share my career adventure here and give you tips on the do’s and don’ts when living abroad.

First tip: don’t ask for a ‘Late’ in Italy – they will give you a glass of milk.

A picture of the way to the gym from my house in Guildford
A picture of the river that passes through the town centre