¡Hola amigos!

I am Jose and I am a MEng Aerospace Engineering final year student. My degree is part of the department of the School of Mechanical Engineering Sciences and encompasses aerodynamics, space systems and advanced materials. All very exciting stuff!

I am originally from Gran Canaria, one of the seven islands belonging to the archipelago of the Canary Islands, in the Atlantic Ocean. Most of you have probably heard about this part of the Spanish territory due to its nice weather and beautiful coastline – that is true!

Though I grew up in Spain, I went to a British School mainly to learn English and to gain a multicultural mindset. The British education system enhances critical thinking, teamwork and research skills better than other education systems (at least in my view). Hence, I jumped on a flight to the UK to pursue higher education at the University of Surrey!

Coming to the University of Surrey was probably one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I immersed myself into the UK and international culture. During my first year at university, I lived on Stag Hill Campus, and on my house alone there were people from over 6 different nations! The university experience is incredible. I have gotten to know myself; I met countless people from so many different backgrounds and with so many different interests; I have developed a passion for Aerospace Engineering and I even got to do a Placement Year at a local engineering firm!

Stay tuned if you want to hear about my experiences and so much more!

NB: I will give one fact or tip in each blog which I post.

First tip: If you want to try a Sunday Roast, make sure to go early to the local pub – food runs out quickly!

A picture of a sunset viewed from the Castle.
Views of the lake in the University of Surrey