University of Surrey Clearing experience

My Clearing experience

Throughout the process, the University of Surrey was really helpful in making me feel as comfortable as possible; the call handlers were very kind and well-spoken and helped me feel more at ease as they detailed every step I would need to do to finish the process.

On the day that I called the Clearing hotline, I was nervous because I was unsure if they could offer me a place. However, the Surrey team helped relieve the uncertainty and reassured me that they would be able to admit me into the university. Within this one call, they lifted a lot of stress off my shoulders.

The University’s website was also a key factor in my whole Clearing experience, because it gave me an invaluable insight into life at Surrey and the type of facilities they had to offer which helped me to make my decision to study here.

Why I decided to apply through Clearing

I decided to apply to the University of Surrey because I didn’t get the results I expected at A-levels and missed out on both my firm and insurance choice so instead of giving up I listened to advice from my family and my school counsellors and made the decision together to go through the Clearing process.

What attracted me to the University of Surrey

When I was going through the website I found that the facilities on offer were of a really high standard. Two facilities that caught my eye, in particular, were the computer science labs because they would be beneficial to the course and the accommodation buildings on the Manor Park campus where I ended up staying throughout my first year which was a great experience.

Since I am an international student, I didn’t have the chance to visit the University in person but after watching some videos online – on Surrey’s website and YouTube channel – I was able to get a real feel for student life here.

How I felt when I was offered a place through Clearing

I was ecstatic! I no longer had to worry about the University I was going to and it felt like a mountain of pressure was lifted off my shoulders.

Advice to anyone going through Clearing

I would say to make sure that you do thorough research about the University so that you don’t get any surprises. Also, choose the course that YOU really want to do, as you’ll be studying it for a long period of time.

How Surrey has helped me to achieve my goals

One of my goals is to be able to get an internship during my time at University and Surrey was particularly helpful in sending me a platform that gives an insight into the companies that are offering jobs in the particular sector that I’m in. The platform lists all companies who are looking for interns!

My time at Surrey

I can safely say I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Surrey; the work has been both interesting and challenging, which has helped me to keep on top of my work and motivated me to succeed in my course. The people that I’ve met have also been super nice and kind to me and we have had the opportunity to really grow together in the last year.

Being an international student, at the start of the year I was a bit nervous since it was my first time travelling to another continent to live by myself. But once I settled in, I found myself to be in a much more comfortable position than I was in at the start of the year.

I’m really excited about what the future holds and can’t wait to start second year!