Chemical Engineering at University of Surrey

Hello! I’m Simon Levy, a MEng Chemical Engineering student at the University of Surrey. Join me on this personal journey as I share my passion for chemical engineering and the experiences that made Surrey my second home.

Top 20 in the UK
Upon arriving at Surrey’s campus, I sensed something special. The Chemical and Process Engineering programs rank in the top 20 by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023. Being part of this vibrant community has been an honourable and intellectually enriching experience. The camaraderie among students and staff is amazing, making this journey truly rewarding.

Engineering solutions for tomorrow
The education approach at Surrey extends beyond merely imparting theoretical knowledge; programs are thoughtfully designed with input from professionals, fostering technical abilities and a problem-solving mentality. Studying chemical engineering becomes an exhilarating adventure, preparing us to face real-world challenges with creativity and unwavering confidence.

Embracing a tapestry of knowledge
The chance to study with award-winning academics is one of the benefits of attending Surrey. They go above and beyond to transmit information that goes well beyond textbooks and lectures because they are so passionate about what they are teaching. We are exposed to a rich tapestry of knowledge that prepares us to have a real effect in the business we love, ranging from conventional chemical engineering issues to cutting-edge transdisciplinary design and sustainable practises.

The £1.7m fluor pilot plant
Surrey’s £1.7 million fluor pilot plant is amazing. This fully functional laboratory replicates the chemical process, offering unmatched hands-on education. Unlike other colleges with only pilot-scale activities, Surrey provides a chance to experience the complete chemical engineering process. Standing in front of this mind-blowing setup, where theory comes to life, really is unforgettable.

Surrey’s fluor pilot plant

MEng or BEng?
I had to decide between the BEng and MEng programmes as I moved forward with my studies. I picked the MEng route after giving it some thought, and I’m glad I did. I’ve been exposed to diverse projects during the master’s year, which has extended my perspective. My grasp of the connections between different engineering disciplines has been enhanced by working with outstanding brains from a variety of technical disciplines.

Surrey’s unparalleled facilities
At Surrey, our experience goes beyond classrooms. Practical applications drive us to investigate and apply what we learn. In Year 3, the pilot-scale processing facility awaits, where we tackle real-world challenges like environmental impact, economics, and safety. This invaluable experience has been crucial for my engineering development, providing insights beyond textbooks. Likewise, access to computer rooms provides ample opportunities for experimentation, education, and innovation.

Personal and professional growth
I know firsthand that technical expertise alone is insufficient for success in chemical engineering. Surrey has a comprehensive program to develop both personal and professional skills, shaping us into well-rounded engineers. We cultivate strong teamwork and communication abilities to complement our technical proficiency, making us highly desirable to future employers.

Embrace the journey: Surrey awaits
To all you aspiring chemical engineers, let me tell you this: Surrey is more than just a school; it’s an experience. It’s where our goals come true, where we unleash the engineer within, and where every obstacle becomes a springboard for greatness. As my time here comes to an end, I am so grateful for the opportunities, friendships and experiences that have shaped me into the person I am today. So why wait? Take that bold step, and Surrey will be the canvas on which you paint the pinnacle of your engineering career. I assure you, you won’t regret it!