University of Surrey Contextual Offer

Hi! My name’s Baseer and I’m currently a final-year Business Management (Marketing) student at the University of Surrey. I’ve loved my time here, but I know how daunting it can feel going to university, so I thought I’d shed some light on Surrey’s contextual offer scheme. I’ll go through what it is and how you can benefit from it!

What’s a contextual offer?

At Surrey, the contextual offer scheme is our way of recognising the unique journeys and challenges faced by applicants and giving them a fair chance of studying with us.

Are you eligible?

You may be the perfect candidate for a contextual offer if your journey includes:

• Residing in areas with historically low progression to higher education (POLAR4 quintile 1).
  • Living in communities facing significant challenges (IMD quintile 1).
  • Overcoming obstacles such as disabilities, care experience, or estrangement from family.
  • Experiencing economic hardships, as indicated by receiving free school meals during secondary education.

Advantages of a contextual offer

We adjust our offer to reflect your situation, typically lowering entry grades by two A-Levels or one BTEC grade. Your journey to a contextual offer is shown on your UCAS application, so you don’t need to worry about doing anything yourself! Also, you get the chance to visit us through day trips and residential trips, giving you the opportunity to fully immerse yourself in what it’s like to study at Surrey.

Extra support

Our In2Surrey Transition Programme is specially designed to welcome students like you who choose Surrey as their firm university choice. Various bursaries and scholarships are offered, including the Full Surrey Award and Care Leaver Bursary, to ease any financial difficulties you may face.

Alternative routes with In2Surrey

Don’t meet the criteria for a contextual offer? Our In2Surrey scheme is your alternative gateway and made for students from diverse backgrounds. This ensures everyone has access to the education they deserve!

Hopefully this was enough information to get you thinking about our contextual offers. Please reach out to our student support teams if you need anymore help. All the best!