This placement is available through the Locus-UoS Placement Scheme. Opportunities available through this scheme are only open to University of Surrey postgraduate researchers. The aim of the scheme is to fund opportunities for postgraduate researchers to create connections between academia and industry. Further details about the Locus-UoS Project can be found here.
Organisation: Orbán & Perlaki Law Firm
Role: Legal Tech Researcher
Business Sector: Law & Legal Technology
No of Employees: 11-50
OPL is an international, innovative, and independent legal consultancy boutique providing full-range CEE legal and regulatory services primarily to multinational companies. We excel at helping our clients manage risk – our expertise in identifying, analysing, and mitigating risk ensures that our clients’ businesses can focus on profit and growth. We also provide flexible legal resourcing and legal process outsourcing services to our partner law firms and in-house counsel.
We have particular expertise in the following industry sectors:
- Technology, media, telecom
- Commercial property
To undertake research on the following subjects depending on expertise and interests:
- UK and US government policy supporting the digitalisation of the legal system
- The judiciary and the legal tech industry
- The use of algorithms in the criminal justice system and its challenges
- Legal tech tools used in legal business
Knowledge & Skills required:
- To be proactive and have great research skills – essential
- An interest and basic understanding of current technology is preferred
- Some legal education is preferred, but not mandatory
- Data science skills
Skills post graduate researcher will have an opportunity to develop:
- Market research
- An understanding of the digital transformation of the legal industry
- An understanding of how technology is affecting markets
Dates of placement: Flexible start, ideally Dec 2021 or Jan 2022
Duration of opportunity: Up to 12 weeks
Hours per week: Negotiable between 20-35 hours per week
IT requirements: Laptop with Wi-Fi connection
Deadline for applications: Open to applications
for this opportunity by:
- completing the PGR Locus Expression of Interest Form
- Sending your CV and covering letter addressed to Miklós Orbán, Partner, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be forwarded on once the opportunity has closed.
- If you would like an informal chat about the role and to learn more about the work of the law firm before submitting your application, email Miklós Orbán email@example.com
- If you would like 1:1 support with your CV or preparing for interview, please book an appointment with a Careers Consultant via this link or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure you have your supervisor’s agreement for undertaking a placement prior to applying.
Successful candidates will be paid by the University a maximum of £315 per week for full-time (pro-rata for part-time opportunities) to cover living expenses. Preference will be given to those PGRs who are not in receipt of UKRI funding.