Ivy Wong, Regional Representative (South East Asia), talks about her new role in the International Recruitment Team

ivyI started my career as Student Development Officer at Sheffield Hallam University, in their South East Asia Regional Office. My key responsibilities were student recruitment and institution partnership support. After three and a half years, I joined the University of Wolverhampton before joining the University of Surrey in August as the Regional Representative for South East Asia.

In my current role, I’m responsible for developing and implementing plans to develop the University of Surrey’s engagement across South East Asia (including Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam). This will focus mainly on international student recruitment and may expand to include alumni relations and developing links with employers. I often travel to countries within the region to attend education exhibitions, visit schools and universities. It is also crucial for me to gather updated developments within the region so that I can develop strategic plans which work for the University. To ensure our students get the full support in their applications, I also work closely with the in-country representatives including training counsellors and developing effective relationships with staff at agents’ offices. Staying in touch with alumni is also another key responsibility.

I always remain grateful that my role allows me to explore and understand different cultures and watch international students succeed in their study journey. It’s also great to be able to work closely with colleagues across the University towards the same mission and contribute to the University’s growth from an international perspective. I wish to develop our engagement in the region further in terms of recruitment and also develop an effective network for alumni and prospective students to share their success and the excitement of joining the
University of Surrey.