My international exchange at the University of Sydney

My experience studying abroad at the University of Sydney in Australia can be described as the best 5 months of my life. When I left England to embark on my journey to Australia, I was nervous about making friends and settling into a new lifestyle. However, my nervousness was unnecessary, as by the second weekend I had a group of friends and was traveling to Melbourne for a long weekend. Studying abroad is a massive step out of anyone’s comfort zone but it is so highly rewarding. From my experience I have made lifelong friends, developed personally, broadened my horizons, all while continuing my studies towards my degree.

The biggest challenge while abroad was that I often had to remind myself that I was studying abroad, not just traveling abroad. It was easy to get caught up in making travel plans, leaving on spontaneous weekend trips, and making new friends, but I did go to Australia to study, so my Uni work was equally as important. Thus, balancing fun time with work time turned out to be one of my biggest challenges, but once I settled into my routine and figured out how to manage my time, everything fell into place naturally.

Some recommendations would be to make sure you understand what is involved with your course, and also to fully research the classes you are taking at the partner university. Secondly, studying abroad may seem expensive but it is quite doable with some saving before you go. I am completely financially independent and with the help of student finance and my personal savings I was able to live comfortably as well as travel the whole of Australia, New Zealand, and Indonesia. Don’t let money scare you away from study abroad as it is attainable through loans and scholarships. I also found a job easily enough in Sydney and was able to work and study as well as maintaining a social life.

Lastly, get involved and participate!! I cannot stress enough how important it is to put yourself out there while abroad. I joined multiple clubs, including ones I knew nothing about (Bushwalking Club) and went to all the social events organized by the University of Sydney. You never know who you’ll meet, what you’ll learn, or what you discover about yourself while participating.

For anyone who is thinking about studying abroad—do it. Explore new places, learn about new cultures, and let your mind grow.

Sydney Carnes, Business Management