My Placement Year Abroad in Sofia

Kamelia Kasabova – BSc International Event Management

My name is Kamelia and I have just completed my placement year abroad in Sofia, Bulgaria. I am now a final year International Event Management student. My position was a Virtual Event Assistant. I served as a first point contact of inbound and outbound communication for the company. On the side I was developing my communication skills by attending meetings either with members of the team or CEO of the business. Another interesting skill that I acquired during my placement was interviewing applicants for the open positions at the company. It was so much fun to get to know more people and understand what companies are looking for when shortlisting candidates. I got the chance also to work with new software which will be highly beneficial for me when applying for my next job in the industry.

Another important thing to consider when applying for a placement is not only the location and position but also the company’s values. Being a good fit to the team is beneficial to them but what is of the utmost importance to you is your mental health and priorities. So, make sure you align with their mission and see yourself as someone who’d love to contribute to the same.

Going on a placement year has benefited me not only more competitive than my peers but also helped boost my confidence and public speaking abilities. Straight after coming back to the university for my final year, I already felt more comfortable asking questions, talking to my lecturers and seeking for help whenever I needed it. So, my piece of advice would be to get the best out of your university degree and as scary as it may be at the beginning, you’ve got this!

For the ones interesting in spending their year abroad in Bulgaria I will dedicate this last section. Bulgaria is one of the most picturesque and lovely countries but remains underrated. As a Bulgarian myself, I can confirm we are one of the most hospitable and welcoming people. You can explore the whole country on a budget, we have so many beautiful places –swimming, hiking, skiing–you name it! Also, the whole of Europe is either a rent car away or a cheap flight. I highly recommend it, just don’t forget that although the destination is two times cheaper than the United Kingdom, you’d still be earning in our local currency which is Bulgarian Lev. Yet, I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to make the most of it!