Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

The last two weeks have been really stressful because of the different leaks in the house, I am not going to go into detail about them, I am just glad it is over.  If you are planning to live in a house instead of University accommodation, do make sure you know who to call when something happens *touch wood*.

I had the BEST weekend I have had so far! I went to The Old Vic in London and saw my first theater performance!!  I do not really know much about theater, it was never a part of my upbringing or education.  So when my flatmate suggested it I was not sure if I should…I was not sure I will be able to understand it or pay full attention for three hours.  So thankful I pushed those anxious thoughts aside and went anyways!

The play was performed at The Old Vic, it is literally less than 10 minutes from Waterloo.  It is a beautiful place, very posh, very elegant, it’s everything you would want for watching your first theater performance!  They also had a small cafe called ‘Penny’ and I had the biggest pain au chocolat in my life!

The performance is called ‘ Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead’, it is a play based on Hamlet.  I personally think it is a genius idea!  Hamlet pays a lot of attention on..well… Hamlet, overlooking the fact that his friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern died for no reason, giving no account to how they feel.   In the play, there’s a scene where Hamlet referred to Guildenstern as Rosencrantz and he simply could not remember their names.   As friends, wouldn’t it be logical to assume Hamlet knows their name?  It just makes me wonder how much Hamlet actually care for his friends.

The whole play had a very ‘witty’ vibe and at times can be quite absurd.  It showed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern’s doubts about life and their purpose.  As a student doing Liberal Arts, I often question my purpose in life.  What do I want to do after a graduate? What do I want to achieve?  A part of me believes that things always work out but another part of me is constantly burdened by the uncertainties of the future.  I think that is one of the reasons why I loved the play so much (without understanding everything), as much as it is an absurdist, existentialist tragicomedy, I did not have a hard time following.

Other than the amazing set, I was also very impressed with the cast, especially Rosencrantz! If you didn’t know already, Rosencrantz is played by Daniel Radcliffe.  First of all, getting to see him live is and will always be the best thing that happened to me! And also, it is really interesting to see him play a character that is more absent minded and not worrying about the unknown.  It showed how diverse he is as an actor, participating in both theater and movies is not easy.  I really like that fact that he is doing different things and branching out, now when I look at him I don’t even think about Harry Potter anymore.  To have played as an iconic character (Harry Potter) for nearly ten years, having people refer to him as Daniel instead of Harry is anything but an easy task.

I wanted to include pictures but somehow my phone would not cooperate..

This week is almost over and we will all be on holiday!  Have a happy Easter everyone 😛