Get ready for uni – visa application

Welcome to Surrey! Congratulations to all unconditional offer holders. Hope to see you soon at the uni 🙂

For those who may not be able to secure a place for now, try UCAS Clearing. There are courses available so please have your Clearing number, UCAS personal ID and exam grades ready. It runs through July till September. It will be better if you could contact the Clearing hotline  +44 (0) 800 052 2248 (international: +44 (0)1483 686828) during 9am to 5pm. More information about Clearing can be found here. All the best to all applicants!

Okieee~ back to today’s topic-visa application. Call out to students who already got their Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter. Please be reminded to start your Tier 4 student visa rightaway. It may take almost one month for the whole visa application process, or else you may have to pay HKD$2,294 extra more for express service. In Hong Kong, there are various education services agencies that prepare visa documents on your behalf. As I previously received such kind of paid visa application service, students can consider this is a way to get everything well-organised and time-saving. Use the list below as a checklist for your application:)

Documents needed:

  • The UKVI Online Application Form (The application form is to be completed on the UKVI website –
  • Letter of Parent Consent
  • To confirm that your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to your application, to your independent travel to the UK and to you living independently in the UK. (Applicable to students under 18 only)
  • To confirm that your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are willing to provide for your tuition and living cost.
  • Sort and label application documents in compliance with the requirement of the new scanning process for supporting documents imposed by UKVI.
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) Number
  • All academic reference as specified in CAS
  • A valid passport and any old copies
  • Financial proof (Original and photocopy)
    The financial records must show a year of tuition and living cost. These records must be issued within 31 days prior to the date of application (usually defined as the date when online payment is made) and show that the required amount of fund has been in the account for more than 28 days.
  • OEA Letter (Original and photocopy. Issued by the Treasury or the department for which the parent(s) work. Applicable to OEA students only.)
  • Photocopy of student’s Hong Kong ID Card
  • Photocopy of parents’ Hong Kong ID Card
  • Birth certificate (Original and photocopy)
  • Tuberculosis test (TB test) certificate
  • Recommended Item – Passport Photos: Photograph of applicants will be taken at the visa application centre and submission of passport photos is not required as part of your visa application. However, students will need their passport photos for school enrollment, student ID card and police registration. It’s therefore recommended that students prepare six passport photos when they prepare other visa application documents. (45mm X 35mm color photos in white background)

After get all documents prepared, you will have to book an appointment and carry the appointment confirmation letter with you to the visa application centre. Student should arrive the visa application centre at least 15 minutes before your appointment. Your appointment may be cancelled if you’re late. The document submission process usually take about an hour.

Fees: *payment is required to be made via online credit card payment.
Student Visa Application Fee: £348 *
Priority Visa Service: HKD$2,294 *
Immigration Health Surcharge: £300 per year *Starting from 6th September 2015, the UK Government is charging international students (who study in a course of over 6 months in length) an Immigration Health Surcharge to support the National Health Service (NHS). Applicants are required to pay in full when they make the online payment.Calculating how much you have to pay:
Document Scanning Assistance: HKD$125 *
* The visa application fee changes from time to time. Please refer to the UKVI website for the latest information.

Visa Application Centre: Address & Business Hours:
Address: Units B&E, 6th Floor, Lee & Man Commercial Center, 169 Electric Road, North Point (Exit A, Fortress Hill MTR Station)
Application Submission & Document Collection: Monday to Friday 08:00 – 15:00 (Closed in public holidays)

After arriving in the UK…
If your visa application is successful, you will be given a vignette valid for 30 days, which is a temporary visa attached to your passport. You are required to enter the UK within the date specified in your temporary visa to activate your student visa. Student is required to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days upon their arrival in the UK, or before your temporary visa expires. Your BRP will be used every time you re-enter the UK.Student is required to collect your BRP at a post office specified in your online visa application. Alternatively, student can collect your BRP at the school or institution you’re going to study in. (If you’re preparing your online visa application yourself, please contact your education consultant for the ACL code of your school or institution.)HKSAR passport holders are required to register with the police in a local police station.The registration costs £34 (applicable to students aged 16+ only)

I hope all information above can help through your visa application woohoo I am going to prepare more ‘get ready for uni’ blogs! Stay tuned and have a nice day!