(Yet another post about) Chinese New Year !

Hellooooo!

I realise that Jessie posted here right before I did about the Chinese New Year dinner hosted by the Malaysian Society. I attended and was glad that I did. I was one of the ones that wore red, because wearing something ang ang (red red in Hokkien and Teochew?) is a tradition that I will gladly abide by to rake in the prosperity and luck. I got to meet so many people and make new friends!

However, I also found more activities to celebrate CNY hosted by the other societies that I, unfortunately, could not attend. There was a huge event jointly hosted by the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, University of Surrey and CSSA, Royal Holloway.

There will also be a pretty big event in town which I will go. This took me by surprise and I am very excited that Chinese New Year is not overlooked at all here. There is more information on that in the link below. http://www.guildford.gov.uk/visitguildford/16133?product=1520341

I have not been able to celebrate CNY in Malaysia for 2 years now. It truly is one of the elements I miss the most while studying abroad. Back home, it would be the celebration that brought the whole family together and brings back so much nostalgia.

So, this year I decided to take matters into my own hands and host a private little CNY dinner.

I decided to go with Yee Sang and a hot pot feast with a somewhat flexible budget. It was my first time making a Yee Sang but it really was always my favourite part of a CNY reunion dinner so I decided to introduce it to my Hong Kong and Chinese friends. It turned out deliciously amazing and I made sure to stick to the traditional recipe as much as possible. 捞生啊!I do not know how to rotate images here, sorry! (You could probably turn your head or laptop).

But yeah, I am proud of it and it made me happy that my friends appreciated and were happy with the dinner. I hope to do it again next year!

That’s all from me for now! Buh bye!

Isabelle N.