The Festive Season is upon us!

Hello there, I hope you’ve been having a good week 🙂

Coming towards the end of the semester is always a joy for students. Not only will there be no more deadlines (I submitted my last assignment on Tuesday), there’s also so much to look forward to during December.

Recently, I went to watch the Christmas Lights Switch On in Guildford town centre. For those of you who are not familiar with the concept, the event is to commemorate the beginning of the festive season and attracts people of all ages. There’s always so many people during the event, and as this was going to be my final one in Guildford, I thought it would be nice to go with my housemates. The event lasts around 3 hours with performances and street vendors selling seasonal food, but the main attractions are the lights switch on and fireworks!

Christmas Lights switch on
Fireworks display!

I’ve been around for the Christmas Lights Switch On for four years now and I’ve got to say that this year Guilford really lit up. The fireworks display was around 15 minutes and you could see them from anywhere in the town centre. Even though I personally don’t celebrate Christmas, I really enjoyed going to this event because it was a memorable experience for my housemates and I. We started the evening with grabbing a coffee, something that I’ve grown accustomed to living here in the UK and making friends with many Europeans. It’s always such a joy to talk to friends over coffee as there’s really no way of knowing where the conversations will go. These moments are precious to me because as final years, all of us have various commitments with evermore differing timetables. Even something as small as getting a coffee makes time for my friends and I to catch up and share our lives.

November’s ending on a good note for me and I hope that the final month of 2019 will end memorably for all of us.

Talk to you guys next time!

-Iman