New Year, Better Health

Happy New Year everyone ðŸ¥³ðŸ¥³!! 

We made it, regardless of whatever 2022 threw at us, I’m so happy to be here and thriving, as I’m sure we are all trying to do for this new year.

I would like to share a few tips on how to make sure we get into better mental and physical health conditions and avoid anxiety during exam periods like we just had as this can be daunting and demanding, however, it is only normal to panic, stress, or even be worried.

1. My first tip would be to have detailed weekly notes for each module before the exam season. These notes could be handwritten or typed. I personally prefer typing, nevertheless, whatever your preferred method is, materials from the lecture, seminar, Surrey Learn (SL), reading list, as well as your own independent research would be the way forward. This tip would enable you to become more confident in your ability to apply the knowledge gathered. I personally love this because when I set out time for my exams revision it is always easy for me to find notes on each week, and I don’t have to faff around. Time is an important factor in reducing stress. This brings me to my next tip.

2. Weeks before the exam period, it is helpful to create a personal timetable that would enable you give adequate study hours for each module. I know, it can get quite tricky trying to create a timetable to incorporate all the modules equally, but what I find helpful is to allocate specific time blocks for each revision session. This way, each module receives undivided attention and focus. 

3. During exam season, it is very important to be in the best possible physical, emotional, and mental state. Breakfast is very important; this advice is coming from someone who isn’t a breakfast lover. We need to nourish our brains and bodies to perform optimally. I personally like smoothies with my favourite fruits, and scrambled eggs, of course while jamming to some music to get myself ready mentally and emotionally for the exams. If possible, include a little bit of exercise. Have fun while preparing for the exam because in reality, exams are only a test of your knowledge and understanding, and we should have fun whilst showing off our understanding always. 

These 3 tips have helped me manage my time effectively as well as enabled me to curve the unpleasant factors that come with exams.

However, if for any reason you are struggling mentally with the stress of exams, lectures, or anything at all, the university has a facility situated on campus called the ‘Centre of Wellbeing’. They have a team of highly qualified and trained professionals who are always happy to assist you and consultations are easy to schedule if you would like to discuss psychological, emotional, or personal issues.

If you are more comfortable with talking to a fellow student, the ‘Nightline’ is the facility to contact. Students who volunteer for these services are trained to provide unbiased assistance, and have non-judging ears, from 7pm to 7am. This service is organized by the student union. 

If you’ve got something buzzing in your head, regardless of how small it might seem, this is the place to go. If you’re having trouble sleeping, walking alone at night, having friendship problems, or even feeling homesick, or just want to talk, just put a call across or visit Nightline at https://ussu.co.uk/Nightline/

That’s all for now guys, I hope you enjoyed and learnt a few new tips from this post.

See you in a bit, stay safe ðŸ’•

Elieza.