BSc to MSc ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ..

”You can never really be prepared for a PG degree”

I bet we’ve all heard this once or twice or multiple times before. I can tell you from experience that it is only a way to get you already defeated before you start the journey. As we all know, one can achieve anything with the right mindset, preparation, and determination. 

At Surrey, students are equipped from the start on how to tackle challenges, be prepared for the degree in order to attain great results. Deciding to continue my education at Surrey was very intentional because my experiences during my undergrad years at Surrey gave me the opportunity to understand what I needed to succeed in any chosen discipline. Now, I will not lie and tell you beautiful people that I didn’t fall into the trap of ‘I am used to itโ€™, or I already know how it goes’. Because I had previously spent 3 years at the university, I felt like I had enough experience to understand what was required for a PG degree, or so I thought., but little did I know what the degree had in store for me.

Masters in any field is all about having a deeper understanding, knowledge, and experience in your chosen field. It requires commitment, determination, time, patience and undeniable passion for the course. Fortunately for me, I love Business Management (coughs… my love for finance or accounting can be questioned๐Ÿ˜‚), therefore, the willingness to apply and possess all these skills wasn’t far-fetched. What I realised during my first semester as a post graduate student at Surrey was that the school provides me with tools and resources to help me understand my course in detail, very similar to what obtained during my undergrad years, but the difference between MSc and BSc, is your determination and commitment. The effort required in your independent research and study time in MSc, is twice as much, if not triple the effort required studying for a BSc. Now, did I completely understand this fact at the start of the semester? Not really, but thankfully i quickly realised what was required of me to successfully finish this journey. I made my lecturers my academic family, asking questions, sending emails, booking appointments with lecturers, just so I can get all the information and help that available to me. I am so glad that I did because when it came down to first semester assessments, it was not as challenging as it would have been if I had not used all available resources and exerted myself. I spent time looking for extra materials, extra academic videos, journal articles, everything I could find to make sure I understood my modules. 

What am I trying to say? Friends (yes, you all are my friends๐Ÿค—), pursuing a PG degree at Surrey is great, at least I can personally tell you that, however, in order for you to successfully achieve anything in life, you have to be determined. If you are reading this post before you come to Surrey, or you are already here, congratulations and welcome, but also be ready to fight for your success. Please ensure to apply yourself in your modules, and my little secret for you all (don’t tell anyone o), when you exert yourself to understand your modules, those modules will cling to you like your second skin. The lecturers are more than willing to repeat, rephrase, and redirect you, should you require extra guidance. 

You can do this.

Oh my… time’s up to get back to researching MNEs and their strategies in international markets ๐Ÿ˜ซ, gotta go, I hope this post helps a friend, obtaining an MSc degree is possible, if you put your mind to it.

Till next time, 

Stay beautiful ๐Ÿ’•

Elieza.