Why did I choose to study my subject?

Dear readers,  

One of the most important and difficult choices for young people is to decide what they want to do with their lives. I was in this situation a few years ago when I had to choose what I wanted to study after the graduation from high school. Firstly, it was not an easy task because I was and I still am interested in variety of subjects. During the period before university, I was enjoying the classes related to Biology, Chemistry, History, Physics, Mathematics, Music and foreign languages. Hence, I wanted to study Medicine, Law and Politics and other subjects. This meant that I had to choose only one or two of these in order to be able to find an option that covered my main interests. Initially, I was considering options concerning Politics and the universities which were offering this type of undergraduate courses. I was always interested in Politics because of the ever-changing political atmosphere around the world and the increasing need to tackle global issues together as a community.  

The global warming is an extremely important issue which has negative impact on our daily lives, the nature and threatens our future. Moreover, the division, between those who believe that this phenomenon is caused by human activity and those who consider that the natural processes are the reason for the change in the temperatures, is present as well. There are different opinions and while some political leaders believe that climate change is real, others reject the existence of global warming. These political discussions can influence the perception of the public regarding the issue and can lead to the establishment of goals towards the management of the crisis and the creation of environmentally friendly policies. 

There are more problems such as the presence of corruption within nations which is an obstacle for the process of democratisation, requiring the establishment of accountability, transparency and equality before the law. Hence, all these are complex issues that are interrelated to each other, meaning that global action is indispensable. This was a key reason for my interest towards the political field. Thus, one of most vital elements was the structure of the particular courses. There were different modules both optional and compulsory offered by the universities and I was interested in modules that covered the tackling of most of these international problems.  

Economics: The Language of Political Discourse – Berkeley Economic Review

In fact, when I saw the courses provided by the University of Surrey, I was impressed by the variety of modules and topics on offer. I noticed that there was a programme, called Politics and Economics. I decided to check the modules and their content. At the beginning I was reading about Macroeconomics, Microeconomics and Mathematics. It was exciting because another subject that I was interested in, Mathematics, was included and it was related to the social sciences, as well as to STEM. I realised that Politics and Economics are interrelated and it would be useful to study both at the same time, helping to create more accurate picture of the situation in the world and to better and more deeply understand the core of the prevailing issues and the potential solutions. This was a crucial moment because I was closer to take the decision to study Politics and Economics at the University of Surrey. The fact that the programme offered optional modules, covering even law, helped choose confidently Surrey and this particular course. That was because the programme included so many of my interests that I was excited and eager to start studying. Therefore, it is important to understand that the choice to study certain subject depends on personal preferences and interests, influenced by our experience. This is a very crucial part of the life of prospective students. 

Until next time, 

Desi