I’m here again…I actually hope you’ve been reading our past posts. If yes, kindly leave a comment to encourage future posts okay? Thanks.
We are at that time where preparation must be in top gear for joining the University in September. As such, I’m writing today on my very ‘interesting’ travel checklist I complied before leaving Nigeria. You could also keep this list for future reference or share with friends. Of course, it has been updated with some inputs I consider ‘very important’ not miscellaneous as I wrote below.
The below checklist, although not exhaustive, have been compiled to help you remember some of the key items you will need to bring with you to school.
- Valid passport and entry visa/ entry certificate
- Original documents supporting your application to the School, including transcripts of grades etc.
- Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) and School/Accommodation address
- One passport size photo of yourself necessary to pick up the key to your room (if in your case)
- Travel tickets
- Travel insurance documents
- Personal Identification (e.g. Birth certificate)
- Travel Sickness Medication (If necessary)
- Any prescribed medication (in original packaging)
- For winter- a warm coat, jumpers / sweaters, gloves, boots, a scarf and a hat are necessary
- For Summer- bring shorts/skirts, trousers and jeans along with comfortable short- sleeved shirts
- No liquids, no sharp objects, any other thing to make the journey enjoyable.
- Address book with contact details of Parents, Siblings, friends etc. – Your Phone should do.
- Alarm clock, Night wear and Lightweight robe or dressing gown
- If wearing spectacles and / or contact lenses bring a spare set together with your prescription
- A pair of slippers
- At least one pair of comfortable walking shoes
- Umbrella and appropriate wear for rainy days
- At least one outfit to wear to social / cultural events
- Long sleeved shirts with sweaters and sweatshirts to stay warm, Other clothing & Underwear
- Toiletries: Toilet roll, Sanitary towels/tampons (for ladies), Shower gel/bar soap, toothpaste/mouthwash, toothbrush, facial scrub etc.
- Stationery: Pens, Pencils, highlighters, files etc.
- Other Medication: Multivitamins, Painkillers, anti-malaria, Cold/flu remedy etc.
- Grooming kit: Deodorant/Cologne, shaving cream/gel, Lip balm, Hair Spray/gel, make up kit, jewellery box, Shaving gear (for guys)
- Water bottle
MISCELLANEOUS (I consider very important)
- Sweeties: Biscuits, Sweets, Plantain chips, bottled chin-chin and groundnuts etc.
- For Cooking/Kitchen use: Poundo yam, Garri, Yam Flour, Ground Crayfish, Ground Pepper, Ground Melon (Egusi) Garlic, Fried Chicken, Cooking pot(s). For the kids, I had to pack Golden Morn, Milk and Ribena (lol).
- Books to read
- Sewing kit
- First Aid kit
- Communion Wafers
- Anointing Oil and Mantle (Church things)
- Hair Wigs and extensions
- Coverlets (Small blankets or something to cover up for at least your first night)
- Covered containers
- Children’s toys
I think I brought more than these, but these are the ones I can remember. (I actually brought some cooked food – contraband!!!) One thing I know was that I was not stranded at all and I settled pretty well before looking for the shops around.
But do you want to know what happened on my first day on Campus? Hmmmh…Story for my next blog…