Considerations When Applying for Student Halls

Once you have chosen your firm and insurance choice on your UCAS application, it is time to think about your student accommodation. Students don’t have to live in student accommodation, students can commute to university. Of the students who decide to live in student accommodation, most live in students halls in their first year of study, then move into houses in the local area from their second year onwards.

At the University of Surrey, there are student halls available on all three campus’ (Stag Hill, Manor Park and Hazel Farm). To learn more about the accommodation on offer, click here. We have different bands of accommodation which students can apply for (such as band C: standard room and band D: en-suite room), and you apply using a ranking system starting with your most preferred band of accommodation. It is important that you think about what type of student halls you would like to stay in, continue reading to find out important aspects to consider!

Students walking past student halls on Manor Park.


Lots of students typically take out a Maintenance Loan from the Student Loans Company (an organisation by the Government). This money is spent on anything like rent, food, transport, socialising and books, so it is really important for students to budget their money to ensure they have enough. When considering your accommodation, think about how you’re going to pay for it, and how much money you will have left over/deficit you will need to make up. Cost can be a big factor in what band of accommodation students choose.


Consider where you could be living if you pick a certain band of accommodation. For example, if you put band D (en-suite room) as your most preferred band of accommodation, you could be living on Stag Hill or Manor Park campus. Ask where your teaching will primarily take place (e.g. Manor Park for Veterinary Medicine and Science), as living close to your lectures will be very helpful!

Students in International House student halls on Stag Hill campus.


Different bands of accommodation have different facilities on offer. For example, a band A budget rooms have communal washbasins, but band C rooms have them in each students room. Consider what facilities you would like to yourself and facilities you’re willing to share, this will help guide you to what accommodation will suit you best.

Who will you be living with?

Different blocks of accommodation have a different numbers of rooms. For example, students living in band C accommodation in Surrey Court (on Stag Hill Campus) could live with up to 13/14 other students. Students halls give students a great opportunity to meet new people, as students typically live with students from a variety of courses. Within the application process, students can also add any preferences, such as a single gender flat.

How long is the tenancy for?

At the University of Surrey, a typical tenancy for student halls is approximately 38 weeks (full academic year). If you would like to stay in student halls for a longer period of time (e.g. if you have integrated placements within your degree) you can apply to extend the tenancy.

Example of student halls at Manor Park campus.

This blog has gone through a few things to consider when applying for student halls at the University of Surrey. Take a look at more photos and information online (click here) to help you decide on which accommodation to put as your highest preference! To read other blogs written by current students, click here.