IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence 2013

By Christopher Smith

The 2013 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI) was held from the 16th to 19th April 2013, at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront hotel in Singapore. This is the fourth SSCI conference and is held every two years, with the aim of bringing together researchers from many different disciplines that use computational intelligence.

There were 36 symposiums/workshops spread over 11 parallel sessions each day, which meant that there were approximately 650 presentations given over the 4 days, by undergraduates, postgraduates, post-doctorates and academics, from all over the World. There were also 49 keynote speeches on a wide variety of topics which were also run in parallel with the symposiums.

With so many parallel sessions it meant the organisation of the conference was excellent and there were many opportunities to discuss your work with leading academics in your research field, as well as gain new contacts. With so much variety there were also many opportunities to attend presentations that were unrelated to your field.

A welcome buffet on the Monday evening allowed for many new contacts to be made and the conference banquet on the Wednesday evening not only included a 7 course feast, but also entertainment throughout the evening. Singapore was also a great place to visit and there was some time to explore the city.

I personally feel that I was able to take a lot from the conference. I saw many presentations that were related to my research area, as well as others in completely different disciplines. It has allowed me to see where my work fits into the wider community that uses computational intelligence, giving me some new ideas and techniques to try. I was also able to get some specific feedback on my own work, not only after I had given my presentation, but also by discussing it with specific academics from other universities, after their keynote speeches and during the social events.

I would strongly encourage others to submit work to this conference in the future, as I am sure there would be a symposium that would be relevant to the majority of people in the NICE research group.