IEEE International Workshop on Information Forensics and Security

By Syamsul Yahaya

The IEEE International Workshop on Information Forensics and Security (WIFS) is the primary annual event organized by the IEEE SPS Information Forensics and Security Technical Committee (IEEE IFS TC). This year it was held in Guangzhou, China from 18-21 November 2013 and chaired by Dr. Ton Kalker (DTS Inc. USA) and Prof. Jiwu Huang (Sun Yat-Sen University).

This international four-day event provided the most prominent venue for researchers to exchange ideas and identify potential areas of collaboration. I went there to present my work titled “Improving Conditional Probability based Camera Source Identification”. This paper was co-authored by me along with Prof Anthony TS Ho and Dr. Shujun Li. I have received good feedbacks and input from the colleagues making this work better in the near future as well as networking with them. There were 35 presentations, 2 tutorials, 10 poster presentations and 3 demos given by postgraduates, post-doctorates and academics from various countries. There were also 3 keynote speeches on very interesting topics which scheduled as an opening session before the presentation begins.

My supervisor, Prof. Anthony TS Ho chaired one of the presentation sessions on multimedia forensics. From the presentations, I found that, there were many presentations related to my research area allowing me to understand where my work could fit into as well as giving me some new ideas and techniques to consider.

During the four-day stay at Chimelong Hotel  (conference venue), it was an interesting and wonderful experience for me because the hotel is part of a big resort in Guangzhou where it is surrounded by an amusement park called Paradise Chimelong, large safari park and water theme park. Apart from the academic experience, I also went on the ‘Pearl River Night Cruise’ organised by the workshop. The night scenery from the cruise was amazing with very beautiful illuminated colourful lights mounted on buildings around the city of Guangzhou.

Overall, attending and presenting my work at WIFS’13 conference in Guangzhou was a very wonderful experience and valuable for me. I would like to specially thank the Department of Computing for giving me the opportunity and  financial support to attend this conference.