Meet the team – Daniel Lawrence

Hi, I’m Daniel, the Fundraising Co-ordinator with the Advancement team and have been working here since November 2016. I co-ordinate our regular giving programme aimed at maximising philanthropic funds from Surrey’s alumni and friends. I am involved in lots of exciting projects, including telephone campaigns, direct mails, crowd-funding as well as working on social media.

Why did you want to work at the University of Surrey?

For me, the idea of working at a University where some of the most exciting developments in the country are taking place was reason enough! The first time I set foot in the magnificent Vet School and saw the revolutionary work they were doing, I was filled with a real sense of pride that I worked at Surrey.

What do you enjoy the most about your role?

I am a real people person and working at the University gives me the chance to collaborate with enthusiastic colleagues on a daily basis. I also enjoy working with our students, who have a real love of life and are full of innovative ideas. During our spring telethon appeal, I had the chance to work alongside some really talented student callers. The buzz in the calling room was infectious, training the students to engage with our alumni and then hearing the results was a really rewarding experience.

What are you currently working on?

I have recently been working quite heavily on promoting the Path to the Future. This gives alumni the opportunity to leave a permanent legacy at the University of Surrey, in the form of a personally engraved brick. Every brick that is bought is laid on our very own brick path, which lies near the lake and Senate House. As well as leaving a physical imprint of their time here, all funds raised from purchased bricks contribute towards Student Hardship grants that help students facing unexpected financial difficulties. 

How would you describe your job in 3 words?

Diverse, Challenging, Inspiring