International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing 2013

By Kostas Eftaxias

ICASSP (International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing) is the most famous and important conference in the field of signal processing. This year it was held in Vancouver (Canada), and I went there to present my work which was a fantastic experience.

It was the first ICASSP I attended (hopefully there will be more) and I was amazed how many important people came for this conference.  There were 2500 delegates and the technical program included more than 120 lecture and poster sessions. The real challenge was to choose which of those sessions to attend, as you can imagine there were many overlaps between interesting sessions.

In addition, the plenary talks were amazing and were given by distinguished professors in my field. I found the talk by Prof Geoffrey E. Hinton on Deep Neural Networks very fascinating and, of course, the talk on “The Splendour of Nature: Lessons in Adaptation and Learning over Networks” from Prof. Ali H. Sayed was very close to my interests.

Overall, attending and presenting my work in a conference like this was very rewarding and I left Vancouver full of new ideas and experiences, which can only benefit my research.